Alison Hughes Translations

Thursday 8 May 2014

That elusive word…


You know yourself, there’s always one
A word you know that just won’t come

Maybe a break, a little chat
That’s all I need, I’m sure of that

Logged onto Twitter, I clear my mind
Not really noticing I’m getting behind

Some time later, no progress made
I realise I’ve been waylaid

Back to the text, I stare at the screen
Search for synonyms, there are umpteen

But not that word I so want to find
The one that’s stuck at the back of my mind

Put on a washing, that’s what I’ll do
And perhaps a little tidy too

I head downstairs, head on a cloud
Trying to repeat the text out loud

It must come soon, I know it’s there
Only problem is I don’t know where

Oh well, twelve o’clock, it’s time for food
Chicken in the fridge looks particularly good

I settle down, my lunch before me
Two tasty sandwiches, a cup of tea

I turn on the telly to see what’s new
Then suddenly I stop mid-chew

That’s it, that’s it, the battle’s won
I charge upstairs past a startled son

A perfect fit, the search worthwhile
A good translator goes that extra mile




No comments:

Post a Comment